In one of the largest, most complicated financial transactions of your life, what exactly does a good real estate agent do?
A good agentâ€¦
1. Cares more about your priorities and goals than their commission. (The smartest agents know that if you take care of the client, the commission takes care of itself.)
2. Negotiates effectively and, at your instruction, aggressively to achieve the best possible price and terms.
3. Never makes decisions for you nor pushes you to make decisions a certain way, but lays out all the information, options and strategies for your consideration.
4. Ensures you understand whatâ€™s happening, whatâ€™s necessary and whatâ€™s at stake at every step.
5. Tells you the truth as best as can be discernedâ€”positives, negatives, upsides, downsides, what you donâ€™t want to hear, what might change your mind about proceeding with a transaction.
6. Offers an array of qualified professional resourcesâ€”inspectors, lawyers, escrow and loan agents, etc.â€”and advises you when their counsel is required.
7. Coordinates, manages and controlsâ€”based upon your decisionsâ€”every aspect of the process. Always with an eye to protecting your interests.
8. Knows the market in your geographic area and property type inside outâ€”its values, market trends, neighborhoods, pros and cons, legal issues, its agents.
9. Gives you the time and attention you need.
10. Keeps his or her promises.
11. Works hard. Works on your timeline. Works to minimize your effort and stress. Works to make or save you more money than they cost.
12. Ideally, loves the business of helping you realize your objectives in real estate.